Recipe Corner: Green Slaw with Thai Dressing
This recipe is full of nutrition. It delivers healthy carbs and protein from vegetables and healthy fats from coconut. Plus, cruciferous vegetables are natural detoxifiers. Meals like this will bump your energy, you feel nourished and light—refreshing meal for hot days. Help your digestive system by taking a few deep breaths before your meal. Close your eyes and smell the food. This process gets your hormones and digestive system ready for a meal. Chew your food well, especially dishes with rich vegetables like this one.
- 4 cups shredded raw greens: cabbage, kale, chard, collard greens, baby bok choy, any combination
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 – 2 large carrots, shredded (substitute daikon radish if your blood sugars are sensitive to carrots)
- 2-inch piece of lemongrass
- 2 – 3 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
1. Put greens in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Massage greens until they are wilted.
2. Put lemongrass in blender with 1/2 cup water and blend until liquefied.
3. Strain through cheese cloth, a fine mesh strainer, or a nut milk bag.
4. Combine liquid from lemongrass with lime juice and coconut butter in the blender and blend until smooth. Add water if needed.
5. Pulse in jalapeño and cilantro.
6. Shred carrots or daikon, and thinly slice the red onion. Add to bowl with greens.
7. Pour dressing over the vegetables and massage in well. The greens should be wilted.
8. If possible, allow to sit for an hour before serving. Place a second bowl over the salad and put something heavy in it to press the dressing into the salad and allow the vegetables to fully absorb the flavors.
Search for more healthy recipes at www.BeFabBeYou.com/blog
Recipe Credit: Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo