My wellness philosophy is simple.
Wellness is much more than eating and exercising!!!
Quality of life is a function of multiple dimensions of wellness: social, emotional, spiritual, environmental, occupational, intellectual and physical. Each dimension plays a role in our health.
Despite cultural, ethnic, social class, race, language, and economical backgrounds, each one of us is affected differently and responds differently to the interactions of these dimensions.
- I believe personal accountability and responsibility are key to achieving a balanced lifestyle and ultimately, wellness.
- I believe knowledge empowers us to make vital decisions.
- I believe it is easy to get overwhelmed with internal and external stressors, but it is up to each one of us to allow them into our lives.
- I believe in a positive outlook. I believe commitment and determination will allow us to go beyond our imagination.
- I believe focusing on what matters & what we can control is the key ingredient to being present, living a better present, and making a better future!
- Lastly, I believe seeking help and guidance is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength and self-respect!
What are these dimensions of wellness
Social Wellness: friends, family, community engagement, people diversity
Emotional Wellness: embrace life as is, external support, build interdependent relationships, personal responsibility, positive outlook, live-learn-apply-grow
Spiritual Wellness: purpose in life, affirmation values, beliefs, forgiveness
Environmental Wellness: natural resources, awareness of surroundings, help others
Occupational Wellness: work and personal balance, love for what you do, cultural activities, mental growth
Intellectual Wellness: open-minded, open to learn, grow, mind exercises
Physical Wellness: mind and body performance through smart nutrition choices and exercises (stability, flexibility, muscle strength, endurance, self-esteem, confidence
Whether we have worked together or we’ve talked before or you read my newsletter or listen to this podcast or stay in touch with me somehow, you know I am big in taking responsibility for our CHOICES!!!
Most of us have a great deal of freedom and can express it. Some sources suggest that the average person makes 35,000 choices per day. A decision is a choice. So, assuming you sleep about 7 hours/night, you are making one decision every two freaking seconds.
Speaking strictly about health-related choices, good Lord, watch out who and how you communicate your beliefs. People become extremely defensive. Look, I speak with great experience. I used to make all sorts of excuses and be very defensive about my actions or lack of actions. Being in denial is a classic trait too. Many of my clients experienced that…well, that’s one of the reasons they came to me…whatever they were doing was not working so they figured they needed something different. Our journey together opens each person to perspectives, realities, and growth. In the end, it’s a beautiful thing to be part of someone’s growth and health improvement.