Cardio Blast – Treadmill Burst Training
I had not stepped on a treadmill in a while. Sunday, 4/10/16, was a good day for that. I used to run a lot…45 miles a week. Until I started to have injuries. Not blaming running, only myself for my ignorance at the time.
I like to incorporate burst training when running on a treadmill. Getting the most out of it. It is an excellent way to burn stress and increased cardiovascular performance.
My treadmill burst training routine was:
- 5 minutes fast walk to wake up muscles
- 6 minutes jog. On minute 11, started bursts at speed of 6.2 mph
- 11 rounds of 1 min run with 20 seconds rest. Increased speed by 0.2 mph every minute
- From 8.2 to 8.8 mph, took 30 seconds rest between bouts.
- At 8.8 mph, took 45 seconds rest to run the last minute burst at 9.0 mph.
- Ended the circuit at 31:45min
For my cool down, i did 7 sets of 25 abmat situps (175x) in 10 minutes.
This was a great cardio and mini ab blasts. I’m positive legs will be sore.
Try incorporating bursts to your jog, run, and walks. Give it all out for 30 to 60 seconds. In a treadmill, start at a comfortable pace and keep increasing speed. You can vary time of each bout especially when it gets pretty high for your comfortable zone. Just keep pushing and do your best to stick to at least 30 second bouts.