I had two small-medium size red cabbages in the fridge. Most of the time, I eat cabbage raw, steamed, sauteed, or add to recipes as an ingredient. Yesterday, I roasted them for the first time. I was amazed how DELISH it turned out:
- Red cabbage (reds are richer in antioxidants/anti-inflammatory properties)
- Avocado oil (melted coconut oil or olive oil will work as well)
- Salt (himalayan or celtic sea salt for trace minerals content). If you have seasoned sea salt around, use that!
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Lemon juice (from fresh lemon)
- Cut the cabbage in half then cut slices of approx 1/2 inch
- Place the slices on baking plate (i used glass)
- Use a brush to spread the oil on both sides of the cabbage
- Sprinkle salt, powders, and red pepper flakes on both sides. I didn’t measure…just went with the flow of my hands 🙂
- Roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, flip sides, use the brush again to spread lemon juice on the edges. Cook for another 15 minutes and you are done.
I tasted them right away and it was hard to stop eating. AMAZING!
I ate them cold for breakfast this morning and DELISH. My point is…you might love them hot, warm, or cold too! Plus, if you like them cold, you can put them on a container or zip log bag and take with you wherever you go.
Let me know what you think. Enjoy!